Milling Picture Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice!

thanks for the post. Informative.

Iv been a welder or making blue prints for most of my life until now. Eventually ill be doing this kind of stuff.

I literally had ZERO wood working tools. Iv got a long ways to go but want to get there eventually.
Blue prints. Wow, that takes me back to my HS shop class. Made one in drafting class. I'm starting to dabble in welding. I took a class 30+ years ago for the fun of it. Now I have repairs to make.

I get about .21-.22 with my micrometer sandwiching the chain between two metal plates to get accurate kerf. That's on my Archer 3/8LP .043, I don't think it's a whole lot different than my 3/8LP .050 though. There are some LP chains maybe a bit narrower kerf than others. LP chains get most of their narrowed actual cut kerf through their lower height and lack of oscillation so probably create a narrower actual cut kerf than a normal height "narrow kerf" chain would like .325NK or what have you.
I run the Stihl LP. I know when I did timed cuts after getting my ported 661 back, that Archer chain cuts slower than Stihl chain. make me wonder if their ripping chain is slower too?

I run the Stihl LP. I know when I did timed cuts after getting my ported 661 back, that Archer chain cuts slower than Stihl chain. make me wonder if their ripping chain is slower too?
Am sure it is. Only have one 20" loop of 63PMX, and haven't compared. Though the Stihl LP is the gold standard, compared to regular 3/8, the Archer still feels like a racecar.

now I was using a dull chain and should have taken the time to sharpen it, but I was lazy, so I would have used less gas if I would have sharpened it.
Milling with a dull chain because you're lazy??? I tried that mistake once. You and I have different definitions of lazy! 😄

log too big for 20"b/c
Between what I've tried and another guy I was talking to in MA who was buying a variety of LP ripping chains to compare, the offerings aren't that good aside from Stihl, certainly not in the US. Oregon's LP had super short teeth that wouldn't last too many sharpenings, Woodland Pro has been erratically ground like it was reground crosscut chain (both the stuff I got and the guy from MA got), and Laser is erratically ground Granberg style which is common because the Granberg grind - even from Granberg - is an often erratic regrind of normal chain. The Panther LP I got from the UK - which come to think of it is all I've been using in 36" loops, I've been wrong to say I've been using Archer - has been pretty good, I've been happy with it. I just bought and made new loops with Archer and not even sure if what I have on my 36" bar is one of those new loops or it's a resharpened old Panther chain. So can't say I've tested Archer LP a whole lot yet.

Back